— Malaysia's 1st Perfume Subscription Blog
Smell Great, Feel Great: Top Scents For Self-Care
Finish skincare routine? Check. Read a book? Check. Eat healthily and get some sun? Check. Exercise? Check. Take a couple of deep breaths? Check.
You’ve done all these steps for self-care. Now, you may be wondering what else you can do to shower yourself with some much-deserved love. Well, have you considered adding fragrances to the equation?
Scents are personal
Photo by cottonbro
Whether it’s the smell of breakfast in the morning, the fresh aroma of the park where you walk your furbaby, or the nostalgic scent of your childhood home, your mind has the power to attach happy memories to certain smells. Perhaps this is the very same reason you carefully choose fragrances: you’re trying to unlock something personal — a memory of your favourite meal, or an unforgettable summer day.
Meanwhile, you can also pick fragrances to match your mood: happy, sexy, adventurous, calm, and everything in between.
No matter if you’re driven by memories or by mood, scents will always be a personal thing. You’re choosing and wearing your perfumes for yourself, not for anyone else. Spritzing some of your go-to scents is arguably one of the most subtle self-care acts you can do to love and honour yourself.
You’ve probably seen it a million times — essential oils like lavender and mint claim to help you be calm and relaxed. This is called Aromatherapy. These essential oils are usually applied by massaging to penetrate layers of skin, with hopes that the oil reaches your bloodstream.
Let’s just make it crystal, though. While somewhat similar in a few aspects, Aromachology pertains to the study of human behaviour in relation to scents. This takes on the psychological lens, often exploring how smells trigger certain moods and memories.
Now, how do we harness aromachology for self-care? In a nutshell, Givaudan Fragrance research fellow Anne Churchill shares in an article: “it’s the idea of using perfume or scent to have a short-term, scientifically proven effect on your well-being.” These fragrances can either be artificial, natural, or a mix of both.
Ready to explore perfumery for self-care? Here are some scents you can add to your me-time ritual.
1. Adidas Sport UPLFT For Her
Adidas is known for its deep sports heritage, and to everyone’s delight, find them entering the fragrance scene with their first scent in 1990. They gave us a taste (or a sniff) of an energising fragrance that perfectly matches those who are always in action.
In 2019, Adidas Sport released the UPLFT fragrance, a musky, floral scent designed to do what it says in the name: to uplift the wearer’s mood. It brings a summer-ific, energising smell perfect for an adventure out in the sun.
2. Functional Fragrance by The Nue Co.
This aromatic scent was concocted by The Nue Co. together with Firmenich, a fragrance company, and Frank Voelkl, the nose behind Santal 33 by Le Labo. These experts created a science-backed fragrance based on the findings of the Brain & Behavior Laboratory at the University of Geneva which states that wood fragrances help trigger feelings of peace and tranquillity.
With notes of green cardamom, violet, cilantro, musk, palo santo and myrrh, the Functional Fragrance’s sole function is to help you stay calm and reset when under stress. Have a whiff of this woody fragrance for a relaxing time.
3. Santal 33 Le Labo
This scent is known in the community as the not-so-secret, quintessential aroma every chic person must have Released over a decade ago, this sandalwood perfume exudes a calming smell whilst being interesting to the olfactory engines of those around you.
If you’re looking for a fragrance that isn’t overpowering yet is uniquely soothing, this woody, spiced perfume fits the bill.
4. N°1 Chanel L’Eau Rogue
This scent opens with an energetic burst of citrus and berries, diving into notes of jasmine and rose, together with iris and musky notes. It’s a revitalising fragrance infused with red camellia extract.
A true classic, the N°1 Chanel L’Eau Rogue has ingredients that stimulate cellular vitality. Try this if you want a scent that refreshes and invigorates.
5. Aesop Marrakech Intense Eau de Parfum
A beautiful interplay of tradition and innovation, the Marrakech fragrance brings its distinct smell of nature into play. This unorthodox fragrance is defined by its woody, floral top notes and hearty trail.
Concocted by Aesop together with French perfumer Barnabé Fillion, this scent was designed to give a calming floral and spiced scent, a homage to Marrakech in Morocco.
If you’re looking for something that smells like culture and tradition, this scent will give you a sense of that whilst being fantastic to the nose.
Every day is a self-care day
Scents are more than just things we wear to smell good; they could be worn to feel fantastic, too.Whether you need to break away from stress, or you just want to get into a calm state of mind, you can count on fragrances to take you there. Find scents you can add to your self-care routine when you sign up for Scentses + Co’s monthly fragrance subscription.
Remember: You are loved. You are valid. Take care of yourself today.
• Cole, B. (2022, February 14). The Scent Of Self-Care. elle.com/uk/beauty/a39045318/perfume-self-care/
• McIntyre, M. (2020, September 28). Perfume as Self-Care? Aromacology Is the Holistic Wellness Trend You Need to Try. Coveteur: Inside Closets, Fashion, Beauty, Health,. www.coveteur.com/2020/09/28/aromacology-scents-destress
• Schroeder, R. (2022, March 3). Le Labo Santal 33 - The Story Behind London's Most Popular Perfume. Perfume Review. www.elle.com/uk/beauty/a38940952/le-labo-santal-33/
• (2020, October 29). All About Aromachology: The Connection Between Fragrance & Psyche. blog.covalo.com/personal-care/all-about-aromachology-the-connection-between-fragrance-and-the-psyche
• (2021, November 8). N1 DE L'EAU ROUGE Mists |. CHANEL. www.chanel.com/sg/skincare/p/140680/n1-de-chanel-leau-rouge-revitalizing-fragrance-mist/
• (n.d.). Adidas Sport UPLFT For Her Adidas for women. Fragrantica. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Adidas/Adidas-Sport-UPLFT-For-Her-59445.html
• (n.d.). History of Perfume. Tailor Made Fragrance. https://www.tailormadefragrance.com/en_int/history_of_perfume#:~:text=The%20origin%20of%20perfume%20is,This%20practice%20had%20several%20functions
• (n.d.). Functional Fragrance The Nue Co.. Fragrantica. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/The-Nue-Co/Functional-Fragrance-55335.html
• (n.d.). N1 DE CHANEL L'Eau Rouge. Ulta Beauty. ulta.com/p/leau-rouge-pimprod2029946
• (n.d.). Marrakech Intense. Lucky Scent. https://www.luckyscent.com/product/30110/marrakech-intense-by-aesop
• (n.d.). Marrakech Intense Aesop. Fragrantica. https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Aesop/Marrakech-Intense-26229.html
Start your perfume journey today!